The special education teacher filed a lawsuit after he was left permanently injured when he was served cleaning solvents instead of tap beer at a bar. Now, a jury has awarded $8 million to the middle school teacher. The special education teacher reportedly lost his sense of taste and suffers from other medical problems due to the injury at the casino bar. According to the lawsuit, the bar employees knew the beer lines were out of service for cleaning when they served the 38-year-old man his drink.
The 38-year-old man from Nevada, Lon Enwright, sued Barley’s Casino & Brewing Co. The special education teacher reportedly lost his sense of taste due to the December, 18, 2018, injury at the bar, per reports.
The 38-year-old middle school teacher used to also work as a wine steward at restaurants.
On Friday, Lon’s attorney, Andre Lagomarsino, said that his 38-year-old client was sickened and experienced convulsions after he asked for a sample of Honey Blonde ale on tap and was served caustic chemicals, which are corrosive and commonly used to clean beer taps and lines.
Now, his client has stomach and esophageal ulcers and is at an increased of risk of cancer.
Andre Lagomarsino reportedly said: “As a result of defendant’s negligence, Dr. Enwright has and will continue to suffer and seek treatment for lifelong internal damage, a lifelong burning sensation in his tongue, loss of taste, ulcers in the esophagus, and permanent damage to bodily tissue.”
The jury agreed to award the 38-year-old teacher $3 million in past damages and $5 million in future damages over the incident.
According to Andre Lagomarsino, Barley’s had reportedly admitted liability and offered $300,000 in damages before the trial.
According to the lawsuit, the bar employees knew the beer lines were out of service for cleaning when they served Enwright his drink.
The chemicals contained in the cleaning compound were meant to liquefy and adhere to organic material, the lawsuit stated.
Featured Image – Attorney Andre Lagomarsino