Fire causes $18,000 in damages to S.E. Swygart home

Topeka, KANSAS – According to the Topeka Fire Department, this incident occurred around 4:41 p.m. Thursday.

It happened on S.E. Swygart.

Topeka Fire Department crews responded to a report of a house fire.

The responding crews saw flames and smoke coming from the single-story residence.

They were able to quickly extinguish the fire and keep it confined to the room where it started.

No people were inside the residence at the time of the fire.

Five dogs were rescued from the residence, Topeka Fire Department officials said.

The preliminary investigation indicated the cause of the fire was allegedly associated with a space heater malfunction.

The fire caused an estimated $18,000 damage, officials said.

This story will be updated as new information become available.