A 2-month-old baby survived for several days by chewing on his own fingers as he lay upon the body of his deceased mother. The boy’s grandmother was called on August 18 to identify her daughter’s body. When the woman arrived on scene, she was told her daughter had passed but her grandson was alive, and lying on top of her body.
Of the last time she saw her daughter, Danielle, alive, the woman said: “Her and her kids were at my house We went to school. We had a good day. Friday the 13th was funny.”
“Decomposing for days with her little baby, her little newborn, laying on top of her. That baby that was in the apartment while she was decomposing, his hand was raw from trying to eat to survive”, she said.
The baby, Dreseaun, is now recovering in hospital from dehydration and injuries sustained to his hand, and is expected to make a full recovery.
“It is miraculous because God is involved,” she said. “God is involved. It’s very miraculous. He ate his hand raw. He was in there for days without survival techniques.”
On Wednesday, the authorities in Kentucky confirmed that Danielle had died of an overdose.
“I can’t believe this is how her week ended,” her mother explained. “I can’t believe it happened this quick. Life is so short, and it happened just like that.”